Research shows that breakfast-eaters consume fewer calories at lunch and dinner and are less likely to snack compulsively the rest of the day. What you have for breakfast matters!
- Leftovers from lunch or dinner the day before
- A handful of mixed unsalted raw nuts, seeds, & raisins with a piece of fresh fruit (the whole fruit with fiber is better than juice)
- Baked custard (recipe in BREAKING THE VICIOUS CYCLE) made from 24-hr. homemade lactose-free yogurt & fresh fruit. Bake several & freeze.
- Banana pancakes: , homemade turkey or pork sausage or thin pan-fried slice of pork or steak
1 Ripe banana with spots, mashed
1-2 Eggs, beaten
Mix & drop on buttered omelet pan or grill & serve with hot honey and cinnamon and/or chopped nuts or berries or sweetened yogurt on top
- Eggs with homemade almond flour bread, homemade fruit spread
- Omelets are great!
- Quiche is wonderful!
- Homemade fruit muffins or coffee cake from almond flour, & fresh fruit or homemade applesauce
- Natural almond or cashew butter or a handful of mixed nuts & fruit salad
- Fruit salad with homemade honey-yogurt dressing and muffin or slice of coffee cake
- Toasted almond flour bread with honey, & almond or cashew butter & a piece of fruit
- Pork chop or steak, eggs, & tomato slices, homemade relish or salsa, & slice of almond flour bread (honey-sweetened or non-sweetened)
- Homemade 24-yogurt (no lactose/sugar) smoothie: (Balances the intestinal bacterial flora, heals the intestines and optimizes digestion)
1 Cup yogurt
1/2 Cup frozen or fresh fruit of choice
1/2 t. almond or vanilla extract (I feel safer with alcohol-free)
Dash of salt (if desired) Optional: Honey to taste
- Baked apples with honey, butter, cinnamon, walnuts & raisins
- Quick hot “cereal-like” pudding (great replacement for malt-o-meal or oatmeal): Several spoonfuls of almond flour with pat of butter, applesauce, cinnamon, and honey (no cooking necessary) – If you want it warm, zap it in the microwave 30 seconds, stir & eat.
- Cinnamon Pizelles made from almond flour (in an electric Pizelle Maker) with nuts and seeds sprinkled on top and drizzled lightly with honey.
. . . and water, water, water!
NOTE: Drinking milk is not permitted on the SCD because of the lactose. Lactaid or Lactaid Drops are also not legal on the SCD. Breads and muffins can be made once a week/month in large amounts and frozen, so you don’t have to stay in the kitchen so much.
Lunch & Dinner:
· Mixed salad greens using legal vegetables of choice (most people don’t eat enough greens – iceberg lettuce which has few nutrients doesn’t count), leftover chicken pieces, almond flour dressing/stuffing or almond flour crackers or bread, fresh fruit salad with yogurt dressing and a handful of your raw nut/seed trail mix
· Slices of additive-free turkey (un-basted, baked at home is best), hard cheese, cooked or raw veggies, almond flour crackers or bread and a piece of fruit)
· Leftovers from the night before with raw veggie sticks and fruit
· Homemade soup with almond flour crackers or fried cheese, fruit or a slice of almond flour nut bread
· Chicken, turkey, fish, beef, etc. - baked, boiled, broiled or pan fried with a little olive oil, fresh or frozen steamed or lightly cooked vegetables of your choice (eat only soft cooked veggies and fruits until healed and pain and diarrhea are gone)
· A variety of sliced vegetables stir-fried with cooked chicken or pork pieces, tossed mixed green salad plus orange and yellow veggies, a piece of almond flour nut bread and a piece of fruit
· Dried white beans (legal after thorough healing) with salad and Kay’s Mock Cornbread (See Recipe page)
· Tuna or chicken salad made from chopped leftover tuna or chicken, Mama’s Relish, yogurt and honey (or homemade mayonnaise), served on a bed of baby leaf spinach (after healing) and pork skins
. . . and water, water, water!
Note: We eat pretty simple most of the time; only cooking special dishes (following recipes) once or twice weekly. This keeps us from getting bored and wanting to cheat. I always cook “big” and freeze portions and rotate foods so I won’t be in the kitchen all the time.
BE CREATIVE, KEEP YOUR REFRIGERATOR STOCKED,
AND EAT A VARIETY OF ‘LEGAL’ FOODS.
YOU’LL FEEL GREAT . . . AND NEVER BE TOO TEMPTED TO ‘CHEAT’!