1. For a thick, creamy, yummy yogurt, buy 1 quart of Whole Milk and 1 quart of Half & Half. Make sure neither have gum additives. (The healthiest milk and cream would come from unpasturized yogurt from pasture-grazed, antibiotic-free cows from a local dairy.)
2. Pour them together in a pot and heat until there are tiny bubbles around the edge of the pot. I use a double boiler - which is a pot on top of another pot with water in the bottom one - and I don't have to worry about the milk scorching, sticking, or boiling over. If you're not using a double boiler you'll need to stir often to prevent scorching or sticking.
3. When bubbles start to form around the edge of the milk, stick the thermometer in and check the temperature. When it's 180 F. turn off the burner, remove the top pot and set on a cool burner to cool.
4. Check the temperature later and when it falls below 100 F. pour 1 cup of the cooled milk into the smaller bucket, and mix in 1 whole packet – there are 2 sides to a whole packet (or ½ packet if only making 1 qt.) of starter. Mix it very well until there is no grit. A stick blender/mixer/chopper works great!
5. Pour the rest of the cooled milk into the smaller bucket, mix again and place the lid on it.
6. Put water to the top mark in the bottom of the big electric bucket.
7. Place the smaller bucket inside the big electric bucket (it will float in the water) and place the lid on it and plug it in.
8. Leave it heating for 24-28 hrs.
9. Remove and dry off the small bucket (do not open) and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and it's ready to eat!
USES: Use this delicious, healthy yogurt in baking, salad dressings, toppings, smoothies, frozen or to replace sour cream. You can drip it several hours in the bag that comes with the Yogourmet machine, hung over a bowl, to make cream cheese. Or you can purchase a Cheese Maker (dripper & container) from www.donvier.com at 302-326-4802. The cheese can be used in place of dry curd cottage cheese in various recipes.
GREAT TREAT: 1 cup yogurt, 2-3 drops vanilla flavoring, honey to taste and a handful of unsalted raw nuts with raisins or chopped fruit. ENJOY!!
SOME PEOPLE MUST BUILD A TOLERANCE FOR YOGURT. IF YOU'RE HAVING DIARRHEA OR PAIN, START WITH ONLY 1 TABLESPOON OF YOGURT TWICE A DAY AND SLOWLY WORK UP TO NO MORE THAN 3 CUPS PER DAY. IF YOU DO NOT DIGEST IT WELL AT SOME POINT, DROP BACK TO THE LEVEL THAT GAVE YOU NO PROBLE