1 1/2 C. RAW BLANCHED ALMONDS, RAW BLANCHED HAZELNUTS (filberts), RAW MACADAMIAS or RAW CASHEWS
2 T. pure (clear) honey
ProStart Nondairy Yoghurt Starter for a totally dairy-free yogurt . . . or you can use Yogourmet Starter if you have no problem with dairy. SCD legal sources are below.
- Set out on cabinet: Blender or processor, a fine sieve, cheesecloth, whisk, yoghurt maker plus yogurt container insert, nuts, honey and water. Get probiotics out of the refrigerator ONLY when you’re ready for them.
- Rinse and drain nuts, cover with water, soak 10-12 hours and drain again. (Omit this step if using nut flour.)
- Place nuts/nut flour in blender or processor and add enough cold water to get a total of 4 to 5 cups (1 liter).
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey and blend/process for 10 minutes at high speed (time this).
- Pour this mixture into the fine sieve lined with 1-2 layers of cheesecloth and set over a bowl. Let the milk drip out into a bowl overnight/several hours .. . or you can use a stronger fabric like a cup towel, tea cloth, or child’s pillowcase; pouring in 1 cup at a time and twisting cloth firmly to force out the milk.
- Freeze and save the nut fiber to add to baked almond flour goods later.
- Take your ProStartStarter out of the refrigerator . . . pour 1 cup of nut milk into the insert bucket and add 1/8 tsp of ProStartyoghurt starter for EACH quart of milk.
- Blend very well. Pour the rest of the milk into the insert and blend again.
- Place lid on insert container, place container in yoghurt maker, plug it in, and let ferment for 8 hours (not 24 hours as you do to make dairy yogurt lactose-free). The fermentation process takes place at about 105 Fahrenheit. The Yogourmet Yogurt Maker temp should automatically stay between 105 & 110.
- Remove insert container, dry and place it in the fridge for at least 5 hours (overnight is better).
- Place the sieve on the bowl and line sieve with cheesecloth. The sieve is such, that if you poured orange juice through it, there would be no pulp in your glass.
- Pour the yoghurt into the cheesecloth so that the liquid can drip through.
- Drip for an hour, or longer if you like thicker yoghurt.
- By pressing down on the dripping yogurt, you can press out more liquid to make something that resembles cream cheese. This can be sweetened with honey and vanilla for fruit dips or toppings or seasoned with herbs for vegetable dips and salad dressings.
TIPS: This nut yoghurt is a safe alternative if you cannot tolerate goat's or cow's yoghurt. Use RAW nuts/nut flour that has been minimally processed. Deep frying or baking nuts will negatively affect the outcome of yogurt. The smaller the nut/seed, the more water that is needed. After blending, the milk will be lukewarm. Do not cook or heat the milk. If it’s hotter than 105F when probiotics are introduced, the live cultures will die, the milk will separate and the fermentation will not take place.
SCD Non-Dairy Yogurt Starter: www.giprohealth.com
Dairy Yogurt Starter: Lucy @ (888) 484-2126